I used to have this dream about the BF and I cooking dinner together, like in a romantic comedy. Well a while ago I sort of squashed that when I told him he was cutting the strawberries wrong and he's (mostly) left the kitchen to me ever since. (Do you blame him?) Well I'm turning over a new leaf these days and trying to relinquish control, expectation, and the need for things to be just so, but it's hard. (And it's not just with cooking.) I tell you all of this because last week the BF and I were lucky to get a free trial of the meal delivery service HelloFresh and for the first time ever we cooked an entire meal together. (And had fun doing it!)
(Oh hey, that's my kitchen!)
Here's how it works:
You select your recipes the week before. That next week they send you all the ingredients you need, plus detailed recipe cards. You cook it up at your leisure and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Our recipes for the week:
Teriyaki-Glazed Meatballs with Crunchy Cabbage Slaw and Basmati Rice:
Maple-Balsamic Glazed Cod with Butternut Mash & Roasted Brussels Sprouts:
Ras el Hanout-Spiced Chicken Thighs with Freekeh Salad, Butternut, and Lemony Yogurt Sauce:
(Note: I subbed in chickpeas for the butternuts and added cucumber to the yogurt sauce.)
So here it is, in no particular order, the Top 5 Reasons Why I Love HelloFresh:
1. The meals are yummy and challenged us to cook something we wouldn't normally. It's so easy to get stuck in a cooking rut. I loved that there were fish and steak options on the menu -- two things I don't usually cook at home but love to eat! (There are also veggie boxes for those so inclined.) Plus, one of the recipes featured spices we've never had before, so it was a whole new taste profile and not the same old that I usually lean on. Which leads me to...
2. The food is fresh and the meals are nutritious. The neighborhood we live in doesn't have the greatest selection at our local supermarkets and it rarely has fish. We try to eat healthy, but sometimes eating healthy takes a lot of work. The BF is a teacher and I have a one-hour commute home from Manhattan at the end of the day. It was so nice to feel like we could eat healthy without a ton of effort.
3. The BF said he loved doing HelloFresh because it took the guesswork out of his least favorite part of cooking -- the measuring/portioning. (Who knew?) And that it was really easy. "I would totally do this again," were his exact words.
4. More from the BF: He has this theory that most decisions in life can be boiled down (pun intended) to a simple question of which is more valuable to you: your time or your money. So if your money is more important, then you'll sacrifice the time by doing everything yourself, making a meal plan, researching recipes, etc. But if your time is more important, you don't mind spending a little bit of money so that you can hang onto that precious time. That's where takeout usually comes in. The BF would much rather we spend a little extra cash on takeout so that we can hang together rather than having one of us (me) cooped up in the kitchen. The great thing about HelloFresh is that it's really the best of both worlds. You get to choose your meals the week before, so you can plan, plus the recipes are so easy to follow that you don't spend all night sweating over a stove and trying to time everything just so.
5. The recipes make cooking the meals so easy, plus it takes the guesswork out of timing everything yourself (a major flaw to my usual cooking.) Friday night after I came home from the gym, I asked the BF what we should do for dinner and he goes, "We still have that third HelloFresh meal." Oh yeah! It was so great to not have to think about what to whip up -- it was already figured out for me but was still way healthier than ordering takeout, which is what we would usually do in a situation like that.
I'm so thrilled to be able to cook something delicious and nutritious but without all the work it takes to actually think about what to make. So excited to get my nights back -- more gym time, TV snuggles, and room for extracurricular pursuits!
BONUS! HelloFresh has been kind enough to share this coupon code with scarlet&sterling readers. Use the code SCARLET30 to get 30% off your first box! This code will be good until November 23, 2016. Happy eating!