You guys, it is so easy to use and makes the most delicious ice cream. It's only been about a week and I've already made three different kids. In honor of New Year's Resolutions (seriously, I love resolutions) I thought it might be fun to fill up the whole year with ice cream! And thus, 52 Scoops was born. I'll give you a flavor a week with photos and recipe to boot.
Make sure to follow me on Instagram (ncammorata) for more behind-the-scenes photos of the ice cream making process (and more!)
And now.... onto Week One!
This is a pretty basic vanilla recipe with some Summerdown Mint Chocolate Peppermint Crisps mixed in. The UK-based company has a really cool story about how they resurrected an old cultivation called Black Mitcham Peppermint. (See packaging below.) Their crisps combine the bitterness of dark chocolate with the cool, refreshing flavor of mint. Sugar granules give crunch and a bit of sweetness. When added to the ice cream, the result is a bright, invigorating flavor of mint mixed with the sweet vanilla and chocolate.
From the package:
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 pinch salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 Summerdown Mint Chocolate Crisps (chopped up)
1. In a bowl, mix milk, sugar, and salt until sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
2. Turn on mixer and pour mixture into the frozen bowl, letting it churn for about 20 minutes.
3. Use a knife to chop of chocolate crisps into about 1cm cubes.
4. Once ice cream has thickened to a soft, creamy texture, add in chopped mint chocolates.
5. Transfer to airtight container and put in freezer for at least an hour.